Sudhir Upadhyay has a new place on web -> sudhir.me.
This blog is no longer updated.

The Rishikesh Experience

Posted: May 7th, 2009 | Author: | Filed under: Musings | 15 Comments »

camping-in-rishikeshOne of the New Year’s promises to me (not resolutions) was to go on few trips (mostly adventure trips). I explored few possibilities and settled in for water rafting in Rishikesh. Although, it is quite far from Mumbai and travelling time was a lot, however, the experience was well worth it. Here is my Rishikesh experience.

After searching for rafting information and several packages we zeroed in for booking from this company. (link removed because of virus infected pages, nonetheless website is raftinginrishikesh.com). The plan was simple, get a train to Delhi, preferably, Garib Rath, because it’s departure timings suited us and the fare is low as compared to Rajdhanis’ then get a car to Rishikesh. However, the Murphy’s law “Anything that can go wrong will go wrong” did not fail to impress and the great Indian railway’s website (irctc.co.in) did not work while booking for Tatkal tickets to Delhi and we had to settle for a holiday special train that derailed our plans and we struggled to get a car on hire in Delhi to Rishikesh.

Finally, we managed to reach Rishikesh and on first sight of the Ganga and our river side camp, we forgot all our tiredness and sleepless night. We spent 2 days (almost) and one night in camp (without light) and it was pure fun. On first day, we did rock climbing and a small stretch of trekking to a water fall (can’t remember the name of waterfall).

picture-196-largeThe next day was the D day, after small session of instructions on how to sail, swim and survive in rapids we started the water rafting. The water rafting is an amazing sport, when cold water splashes on your face, the feeling is awesome, when you see the rapids ahead of your boat, when your boat inclines for more than 80 degrees, when your oar doesn’t find water because you are in air due to rapids.
The food and service in camps were good; however, the toilet facilities could have been better.

I couldn’t help but remembering the TATA Safari Dicor ad.

If you looked back on your life, what would you remember?
The corner office?
The corporate powerplays?
The VIP lounge?
What would you remember?
Reclaim your life.

This is one of the satisfying holidays I have ever taken. I would suggest one should do river rafting at least once in life.

Expense statement:

Mumbai-Delhi-Mumbai Train fare (AC III tier): Rs. 2300
Delhi-Rishikesh-Delhi (Innova)- Rs. 6000
2 Days/1 Night in camp including food and all activities: Rs. 1700
Verdict: Satisified :-)

15 Comments on “The Rishikesh Experience”

1. 1 Jitendra Singh said at 10:21 am on May 8th, 2009:

Fully agreed, its a truely fun !!! Even i suggest try at least once in a life.

you can check out more pics here – http://www.flickr.com/photos/jitendraapi/3509285241/

2. 2 Pramod said at 1:00 pm on May 8th, 2009:

Good .. nice to read … I remembered my school days when I was there for 11 days camp

3. 3 Sandeep said at 8:00 pm on May 8th, 2009:

Lovely Blog bro.. But a request. The Company that you attached here has some virus infected pages. It may harm any one system. So Take care

4. 4 Sudhir Upadhyay said at 9:12 pm on May 8th, 2009:

Thanks Sandeep for letting me know, I have removed the link.

5. 5 Sandeep said at 2:52 am on May 11th, 2009:

Thats cool… hw was the trip and what all activities you did and wat about the charges and all..

Can you send me at ceobharat@gmail.com.

n Thats cool that you save many PC by removing that..

6. 6 Sudhir Upadhyay said at 11:32 am on May 12th, 2009:

The trip was awesome as explained in the blog post. I have given the expense statement as well :-) let me know if you need more information.

7. 7 subhranshu said at 5:35 am on May 19th, 2009:

Hey PITA guy!!!!!!!!good blog man.nice to see such comments from public.

8. 8 Vicky said at 10:25 am on May 20th, 2009:

nice blog man…..

9. 9 Shiv said at 6:51 pm on February 6th, 2010:

Hi Sudhir…please let me know how was the weather in Rishikesh in the month of May..very hot and humid like Delhi or tolerable. Also do me a favour and tell me how did you find this cheap pacakge–2 Days/1 Night in camp including food and all activities: Rs. 1700. We are planning to go in a large group for river rafting in the month of May. Let me know the travel package details at shivmedico@yahoo.com.

Thanks

10. 10 Piaaa said at 2:57 am on February 25th, 2010:

It seems to be great fun. I would be going there for sure. This blog was very informative . Given all the answers of my questions…

11. 11 Sudhir Upadhyay said at 11:08 am on February 25th, 2010:

Yes.. it’s a real fun. Enjoy!. I’m glad the information was helpful

12. 12 jasmine said at 5:21 pm on March 29th, 2010:

Hi Sudhir…please let me know how was the weather in Rishikesh in the month of May..very hot and humid like Delhi or tolerable. Also do me a favour and tell me how did you find this cheap pacakge–2 Days/1 Night in camp including food and all activities: Rs. 1700. We are planning to go in a large group for river rafting in the month of May. Let me know the travel package details at jasmine.jenny@yahoo.com

13. 13 Sudhir Upadhyay said at 8:19 pm on March 29th, 2010:

Hi Jasmine,
    The weather in month of May would be very very hot and humid. I booked through raftinginrishikesh {DOT} com. You can visit their website and contact them.

14. 14 Rishikeshdivine said at 5:37 pm on October 19th, 2010:

Nice snaps

15. 15 Anubhav Roy said at 2:00 am on February 8th, 2013:

Very well written. Thank you for sharing your rafting experience. I liked how you connected the experience with the Tata Dicor “reclaim your life” ad.. :)